Monday, May 28, 2012

Look and then look again

I love the U.S. Federal Census records.  Without them, genealogical speaking, where would we be....with a whole lot of relatives lost.  I know that unless someone was moving at the time of a census, they are most likely listed there.  Census takers were paid by houses.  So even if someone didn't want to be included in a census they usually ended up on one anyways.  Even if the census taker had to get your information from a neighbor or relative.  So knowing all this, I knew that I should be able to find Isaiah & Florence, plus their children Mable, Dott, Claude and Leila in the 1900 U.S. Federal Census.  And that I should also be able to find Isaiah in the 1910 Census.  As of yet, I was missing those census.  The thing to remember about census searches is that sometimes there is such a thing as "too much" information.  After hours of searching through city directories I had come to the conclusion that Isaiah was probably in Salt Lake City in 1900 and in Tacoma, WA in 1910.  In fact, I was sure that he was in Tacoma in 1910 as I had found a City directory for Tacoma for 1910 and he was listed there.  So why then could I not bring him up in the U.S. Federal Census?? Because his name was transcribed wrong. He was transcribed as Alexander Timbert.  As for the 1900 census, the reason I was unable to find him is because he made himself 10 years younger in that census and told the census taker he was born in 1863. Hmm...wonder if I could get away with that.....

So how was I able to overcome these transcribing errors?? Remember "less is more" sometimes...in this case that's what I needed.  For the 1900 Census I knew that he was still going by Isaiah.  So that's all I put in the search box...Isaiah Timbrel, living in Salt Lake City, UT.  And voila, up he came. :)  For the 1910 census, I had put in Alexander with no last name, living in Tacoma, WA born abt 1853.  I was also looking for his wife Mae/May, daughter Beulah and step daughter Nettie.  Leaving out the last name helped me to locate them there.  I did a similar thing while looking for Florence (Isaiah's first wife) and their children.  I usually always go look at the children if I am trying to find out more about the parents.  I had so far been unlucky in tracking them that way.  But I did notice that Mabel had a "hint" for 1900.  There was a Mabel Timbrel working as a servant in Grand Junction, CO.  She was 18 at the time, and I am thinking there is a pretty good chance that this is my Mabel.  And most likely her Mom isn't far away from her.  I think maybe she is in Grand Junction and I just never found her there.  And it's not that far of a stretch.  If the family was living in Grand Junction and Isaiah has to leave for work or whatever reason he leaves, Salt Lake City is not that far away.  I enter in Florence, Mabel, Claude, Dott, and Leila with no last names or birth information, living in Grand Junction, CO.  And there they are... Florence, Mabel, Claude and Leila Trimbril.  Missing is Dott.  I am not too surprised by this though as I have found no other record for Dott other than a Nebraska State Census from 1885.  I think that Dott has passed away as a small child but that will be another story.  I notice two things about this record, one, Florence is listed as Wd (widowed) and two, she says she has only given birth three times and has three living children.  I know this is wrong but I am ok with it.  The first thing, she might have actually believed that Isaiah was dead at the time or she no longer choose to claim him.  Even though in the 1920 census she says she is married.  And to the births, losing a child....I just could not imagine having to go through that, so it's not a far stretch to say that she probably just didn't want to talk or admit to it.  Everything else matches though, names, births, places of birth, and places of birth for parents.  I am pretty sure this is my family I have been looking for.  :)  Mark one for Mindy.

Transcribing errors happen...it's a part of life.  So we get used to it and find ways around it.  I give high marks to all indexers.  I think it's wonderful that they are taking their time to work on getting these records indexed.  So if it takes me a few hours or days or even weeks, I am ok with that.  Because it's a hard job to index.  And they do the best they can and that's really all we can ask for.  If you don't believe me go ahead and head out there and give it a shot....the 1940 census still is being indexed. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment