Monday, July 8, 2013

Mystery Monday: John Adamson 1793 PA

One of the hardest parts of being sick...well besides the intense pain....was not being able to work on my genealogy.  But guess what...I am back baby! The only thing that will keep me from getting back to work is all the family time I have been spending with my little family this summer.  We have had such a good summer so far but it's time for me to get to work. :)

Today I just want to talk a little about my brickwall on the Adamson side John Adamson b. abt 1795 PA, USA d. (poss) 1865 Steuben Co., NY, USA.  John is my 3x Great Grandfather, my direct paternal line. John married Minerva Mulford sometime before 1835, as their oldest son John Adamson Jr. was born in May 1836 (my 2x Great Grandfather).  They went on to have another son Mulford Adamson and three daughters Emily, Louisa, and Edith.

I have not found much on my John Sr., other than those little facts.  The 1850 & 1860 US Federal Census' have him living in Thurston, Steuben, New York.  The 1850 Cesus has him being born in 1817 PA, but the 1860 Census says 1793 PA.  I think the 1850 Census is a transcription error though because if you look at the actual census it is very hard to read the age for John.  There is a cemetery index for the Cameron Mills or Townline Cemetery listed on Painted Hills Genealogy Society website, which lists a John Adamson being born in 1793 and passing in 1865.  I have a photo request for a headstone on his find a grave memorial.  Someday I hope that there will be someone available to find John's headstone and also the rest of his family that are buried there. Or better yet, that I would be able to go and see it for myself (hint hint hubby). ;)

I have found some mention of John Adamson Jr., adventures in business in Steuben County which reference that his father settled the "river below" around 1845.  But no mention of his family or where in Pennsylvania he might have been born. 

Someday......

I will find my  family...yes it is the wish of every genealogist!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment