Saturday, December 8, 2012

WHS

Well nothing like waiting for weeks on end to be disappointed.  I called the Wisconsin Historical Society a few weeks ago in regards to finding some records of my 3rd Great Grandfather while he was he prison, in the 1850's.  I talked to a man in the archives division who was ever so helpful.  He told me exactly what I was looking for and that they would be happy to look up the records I would need.  He gave me an email address to write to.  I wrote that very day and then have sat very patiently waiting to hear something from them.      

I finally did last week.  I got an email back from a reference archivist, telling me that he would not be able to do the lookups I requested.  But that I could do an interlibrary loan of the films.  I don't mind heading to the library and doing the request, waiting for the films to come in and then spending time pouring over all the old records.  In fact, sitting and going through all the records actually brings me joy.  What I am disappointed in is the fact that I called and was told that they would be able to find what I was looking for and I waited three weeks to hear anything, and then was told that they would not help me.  I could have been waiting for the films to come to my local library.

While I am disappointed with the service I received, I will order the films.  And then happily spend the hours needed to find the records I am looking for.  So in the end, it will all work out.   Now to get my tush down to the library with the information needed and get my films ordered. :)

Other than the service I got from the archives division, I have been very happy with my membership in the Wisconsin Historical Society.  I received my first issue of "Wisconsin magazine of history" and the weekly newsletter through email.  Some very interesting stories.  I just hope that my further dealings with the archive's are a better experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment